Home / Serie A / Juventus handed 3-0 win after Napoli failed to turn up for match following positive Covid-19 tests

Juventus handed 3-0 win after Napoli failed to turn up for match following positive Covid-19 tests

Juventus handed 3-0 victory by default after Napoli failed to turn up for Serie A match on October 4 following two positive coronavirus tests as Gennaro Gattuso’s side are also docked one point

  • Juventus have been handed a 3-0 victory by default for their unfulfilled match 
  • Napoli didn’t make the trip to Turin after two players tested positive for Covid-19
  • The club said they were banned from travelling by their local health authority
  • Serie A said two positive tests was not enough to warrant pulling out of match 

Juventus have been handed a 3-0 victory for their unfulfilled fixture against Napoli after their opponents failed to make the trip to Turin following two positive coronavirus tests.

Napoli said they had been banned from travelling and had been advised to self-isolate by their local health authority after Piotr Zielinski and Eljif Elmas tested positive for the virus.

But Serie A and Juve pointed out that the rules agreed by all clubs and UEFA at the start of the season state that two positive tests do not warrant pulling out of the fixture. 

Juventus have been handed a 3-0 victory for their unfulfilled fixture against Napoli this month

Defender Piotr Zielinski tested positive for Covid-19

Eljif Elmas also tested positive before the game

Napoli claimed they were banned from travelling to Turin by their local health authority

The Serie A protocol states that as long as a team has 13 players available – including at least one goalkeeper – the game must go ahead.

The league’s Disciplinary Commission have now ruled that Napoli did not have enough reason to warrant missing the match meaning they were automatically handed a 3-0 defeat as well as being deducted one point. 

Football Italia report that Napoli are expected lodge an appeal against the verdict.  

Gennaro Gattuso’s side came out of isolation on Tuesday after spending the last week at their Castel Volturno training ground.

Gennaro Gattuso's side have also been deducted one point for not following the protocol

Gennaro Gattuso’s side have also been deducted one point for not following the protocol

The club tweeted: ‘Following the latest negative test results, the local health authority has given the green light for the group to end its isolation period at the training ground and head home.’ 

Juve have had their own coronavirus problems after Cristiano Ronaldo and Weston McKennie tested positive this week.

As a result, the club have placed their entire squad into voluntary self-isolation as a precaution ahead of their weekend game with Crotone. 

Cristiano Ronaldo and his team-mate Weston McKennie have also tested positive for Covid-19

Cristiano Ronaldo and his team-mate Weston McKennie have also tested positive for Covid-19 

A club statement read: ‘Juventus Football Club announces that, during the checks provided for by the protocol in force, the player Weston McKennie has tested positive for Covid 19.

‘In compliance with the regulations and the protocol, the team entered into fiduciary isolation this evening.

‘This procedure will allow all persons negative to the controls to carry out regular training and match activities, but will not allow contact with people outside of the group.

‘The Club is in constant contact with the competent health authorities.’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *