‘Maybe it was taken a little too soon’: Cesc Fabregas fears Ligue 1 season was cancelled too early as Europe’s top leagues ramp up restart plans
- Cesc Fabregas fears that the Ligue 1 season may have been cancelled too soon
- Last month, the French government banned all football until September
- Meanwhile, action is set to resume in Germany and potentially England too
- Fabregas understands the health risks but felt the decision was made too early
- Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19
Cesc Fabregas has revealed his thoughts on the Ligue 1 season being ended, as the Monaco star expressed that the decision to end the season may have been made too early.
Last month, the French government announced that football would be banned until September due to the threat of the coronavirus, which has taken a total of 26,310 lives in the country.
The decision meant that Paris Saint Germain were crowned champions, having held a 12-point lead before play was brought to a close, while Amiens and Toulouse were relegated from the top flight.
Cesc Fabregas says that the decision to end the French season may have been made too early
The French government announced in April a ban on football, making PSG Ligue 1 champions
It was a momentous call given that the Premier League are pressing on with plans to ensure that Project Restart gets underway, while the Bundesliga will make a return on May 16.
And Fabregas, whose Monaco side sat in ninth place, feels that the decision may have been taken prematurely.
‘It was a big decision that was made and I can understand why they took it,’ he told beIN SPORTS. ‘But maybe it was taken a little too soon, considering a lot of the big league are still all trying to resume.
The call may have been hasty, with football set to return in Germany and potentially England
‘Although I completely understand the meaning behind it and it’s better to be safe in all accounts, because the most important is the families and the health security of everyone and support this 100 per cent.
‘But maybe we could’ve considered individual training, where you have basically no risk. You’re not touching anyone, you’re not close to anyone. See if everyone was getting closer to football behind played all over the world.
‘Obviously, it’s very difficult and I understand someone needs to make decisions. We just have to do what they’re telling us. Difficult moment in our professional lives and personal lives, but we just have to hold on and everything will be fine in the future for sure.’
The former Chelsea and Arsenal star feels individual training could have been trialled in France
Players have been torn over the prospect of returning to action during the current climate. Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero earlier revealed that some players were fearful about resuming.
‘The majority of players are scared because they have family, they have children, they have babies, parents,’ he said in April.
‘When we go back, I imagine that we will be very tense, we will be very careful, and the moment someone feels ill, you will think: “What’s gone on there?” I hope there is a vaccine so all this ends.’