Getafe 0-3 Real Madrid, La Liga RESULT: Zinedine Zidane’s men go top after an own goal from David Soria and strikes from Raphael Varane and Luka Modric seal derby win
- Real Madrid have beaten local rivals Getafe 3-0 at the Coliseum Alfonso Perez
- An own goal from David Soria gave Real the lead in the first half on Saturday
- Raphael Varane and Luka Modric then scored in the second to wrap up the points
- The win puts Zinedine Zidane’s men temporarily top of the table in Spain
- Getafe starting XI: Soria, Suarez, Dakonam, Cabrera, Nyom, Fajr, Arambarri, Maksimovic, Cucu, Mata, Angel
- Real Madrid starting XI: Courtois, Carvajal, Militao, Varane, Mendy, Kroos, Modric, Casemiro, Benzema, Bale, Isco
- READ: Win puts Real back on top of La Liga table in scrappy Madrid derby victory
Raphael Varane filled Sergio Ramos’ shoes for Real Madrid, scoring a header and being heavily involved in another goal in the captain’s absence, as Zinedine Zidane’s team won 3-0 away at Getafe.
With Ramos suspended, Varane took over responsibilities bossing the Madrid defence and twice getting forward to contribute to goals with headers.
Luka Modric added a spectacular third in injury time. His finish was simple enough but it came from a brilliant pass on the turn from Gareth Bale and a lightning sprint from substitute Fede Valverde.
CLICK HERE TO READ THE FULL MATCH REPORT or scroll down to relive the action as it happened
Real Madrid’s quest to win La Liga resumes on Saturday afternoon when they travel to local rivals Getafe.
A victory for the visitors will see them move top of the table ahead of Barcelona’s trip to Espanyol later that evening (8pm kick-off). Getafe are flying high in sixth though – meaning it’ll be a tough match for Zinedine Zidane’s side.
Follow all the action from the Coliseum Alfonso Perez as it happens with Sportsmail’s SAM MCEVOY. Kick-off is at 3pm.